Tuesday 8 May 2012

Review: Bloodlines

I feel like killing myself for not having read this much sooner.

Those days when I feel like I was suffocating from the lack of action from Rose Hathaway and Dimitri Belikov, one of my favourite fiction couple ever.
It can really do that to you, y'know.
Vampire Academy.
After the series ended off with a happy ending.
There seemed to be this, hollow feeling to me.
Like, "Damn, I'm gonna miss those Moroi and Dhampirs."
And this comes the part where I tell you how much I love Richelle Mead.
Because she knows how much the fans loved VA and came up with this spin-off series (which also includes 6 books *squeals*).
In addition to her awesomeness on that, she was spot-on to have Sydney star the new series.
I must admit, I was doubtful about that part when I first heard about it while reading VA.
It didn't occur to me the possible development there were for the Alchemists, who despised the vampire race in general, even the dhampirs.
Although I was totally for Adrian being the male lead for a change.
He deserved that after what happened in VA ;)

Set in the same world as with VA, Bloodlines follows the life of Sydney Sage, an 18-year-old alchemist, after The Last Sacrifice.
Having helped dhampir Rose Hathaway and others to escape a wronged judgement, Sydney has lost the trust of the majority of the Alchemists as they deemed her as a vamp lover.
Now she has to work hard to earn back their trust and protect her younger sister from having to lead a life like her own.
But it is hard to answer to the strict teachings of the Alchemists that all vampires all evil as she enter the lives of the Moroi princess, Jill Mastrano and "flippant, vampire party boy", Adrian Ivashkov.
From her initial reluctance to share a room with a vampire, the princess and her entourage grew on Sydney as she eventually bred a strong connection with them.
She got put in a worse position when she realised she feels a tingle when the party boy looks at her, and it isn't because of the Spirit magic he wields.

No doubt this book is a little less action-packed as compared to the books from VA, but it did not make it any less fun.
Richelle Mead did a great job of leaving vague hints here and there about shocking truths which were eventually disclosed.
It is not hard to follow Sydney's thoughts as she unravel each mystery, coming closer to the big question at the very end.
Besides the characters who were on the sidelines in VA, Bloodlines introduced a couple others with promising stories of their own I assume would surface in the upcoming books.
Like Trey, who I sensed a crush coming on Sydney despite his initial hostile attitude towards the smart girl.
Or maybe I'm just being wishful because I kinda liked Trey xP
There is also another thread leading to another group of people unknown to Sydney and possibly the vampire race too.
One that might set the races off balance as they dabble with the unnatural.
It is similar to VA not only in the sense that they are in the same world, but also they both started in a high school setting, where lots of drama unfolds.

In all, Bloodlines is something a VA fan must read.
Not that I would limit it to only those who liked VA, but it is highly recommended you finish the VA series before starting this one, so it would make more sense.


Title: Bloodlines
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines #1
Genre: Paranormal YA
Goodreads Description: When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

"My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them? The colour," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They beautiful. You're beautiful."

If you haven't read Vampire Academy yet, (oh my god, what were you doing??) there's a free sampler available here.
It contains the first five chapters of the first book of the Vampire Academy series, how generous is that x)
And if you have of course finished VA and am super interested in Bloodlines after my review, you can view the first chapter here.

Show the author some love by visiting her page and following her here, here and here.
The second book to the Bloodlines series, The Golden Lily, will be release on June 12th.
Can't wait for the release?
Join the giveaway here for an ARC of The Golden Lily.
It's international, ahh!
*excitedly runs around in circles*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? :)